Carly’s Encounter With Duncan
April 11, 2001 at the Annex in Madison, Wisconsin

Duncan Sheik is my favorite musician and one of my favorite people in the world. So when I heard that he was touring, I was ecstatic.

I looked at the tour dates, and saw that he was going to be playing at the Fine Line Music Cafe in Minneapolis, Minnesota, which is about a half-hour away from where I live. While looking at information about the bar, I discovered, much to my dismay, that the show was for people 21 and over. I am only 15, and could not get in.

By doing some serious research, I found that the next show, at the Annex in Madison, Wisconsin, was for all ages, which meant that I could get in. The only problem was getting the 275 miles to the concert. My mother knows how much I like Duncan, so she offered my a way out of my predicament. She said that she would not mind taking me to the Madison show if I could find us a place to stay. I found us a place, and at 11:00 am on April 11, 2001, we headed out to Madison.

The drive was five hours long, and we entertained ourselves by listening to Duncan Sheik and Barenaked Ladies CDs. We arrived at the hotel and prepared to go to the 7:00 show. Dinner was made exciting by the fact that during it, we met the warm-up band, Fisher. My mom and I were sitting around eating dinner when we heard the woman at the next table saying that she was going to be gone for six weeks and was touring with Duncan Sheik. We introduced ourselves, and learned that they were the warm-up band. The really cool thing was that they were under the impression that the show started at 7:30, when it actually started at 7:00. We informed them of their error, and it turned out that we were right.

After dinner, mom and I walked the short distance to the concert and got seats at a table about 10 feet from the performers. Fisher took the stage at 7:00 and was off around 7:30. Then the technical people set the stage up for Duncan. We were waiting for him when my mom saw a man stick his head in the exit door by the stage to look at the crowd. It was Duncan, and he had a big smile on his face.

Duncan took the stage a couple minutes later, and began playing the best concert that I had ever seen. Mom and I went crazy taking pictures of him. He even dedicated a performance of “The End of Outside” to us because we had told his merchandise man and the warm-up band how far we had come to see him. I loved every minute of the concert, and I was smiling the whole time.

Then came the part that establishes Duncan Sheik as one of the nicest and coolest people in music. When he was done with the encore, he jumped off the stage and started signing autographs and posing for pictures. I was able to walk up to him, shake his hand, and tell him how much I enjoyed his music. Then I was able to have my picture taken with my arm wrapped around him. After thanking him for posing with me, I asked him to autograph one of the CDs of his that I own. He was happy to oblige, and I was then in possession of a Duncan Sheik autograph.

Feels like I'm HOME.